Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Original Enterprise Project

Another little idea I've been kciking around recently after discovering my old stash of Star Trek Micro Machines is a smaller Enterprise.  One that lights up, but pretty simple.  And for sake of ease I thought of scaling it down so that the average size of an LED is the size of the from of the nacelle.  So it's tiny. There will be batteries in the stand. When placed on the stand it "should" light up. And of course when off the stand it'll be off.  (there will also be an on off switch on the stand."

So here are the initial pictures of my newest project.


The Hull! It's nothing to look at so far, but shaped correctly. And I'm hoping once the wood is sufficiently reinforced I'll be able to do some detailing.  There will be one white LED inside the hull for pin pricks of light to come through "windows."


This is another shot of the hull with primer and the saucer section VERY roughly shaped out. In this pic I have yet to actually contour or shape the saucer section at all.


Nacelles!

These have been shaped as best as I can get them on such a small scale. In TOS they are tapered down a little towards the rear. I've done my best to shape them down.  These will both have a red LED inserted in the front....will make painting tricky...

The saucer section. It's nothing to look at right now. But we're getting there. There will be a white LED inside this as well.  Which puts our LED total at 4. Should be doable. This will illuminate the top and bottom and the port and starboard lights which will probably just be green and red bits of plastic lens...if I can find them.


And this is just me laying the pieces out just to get a sense of where things will lie. It's not perfect by any means but it's a good start. The saucer section is a bit big from top to bottom. The diameter is about right but I've gone a bit too liberal with building it up for the top and bottom domes while also making room for the LED that will live inside.  I hope to have some more updated pictures by this weekend of something that more closely resembles a star ship....lot's of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment