Sunday, December 02, 2012

Hot Wheels 2011 Delorean Customization




The Delorean! This little guy was staring at me at a CVS late one night. CVS of all places. I swear you can get everything there, milk, candy, razors and time machines. It's a pretty good scale representation of the car from the films.  However, something as a kid that always annoyed me was staring me in the face. Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars do the bare minimum to create their cars. They spend a little extra time on the outside and the body of the car. The interior however sucks. That's all I can say. It sucks. So I decided to rectify that for this car and possibly might go back and fix all my old Hot Wheels that yes-I-do-still-own-from-childhood! Don't Judge. 
So here is the initial car still in packaging.
2011 New Models Delorean from Back to the Future.
This is, from what I can tell of the rear of the car, from BTTF 1. There is no Mr. Fusion molded onto the car.


Out of the packaging. You can see the very basic and generic gray interior.
Yes, yes, I opened up the package and took it out. Sacrilege!

Just a side shot

First step was to drill out the 2 metal posts that keep most of these cars together. Here are the 5 pieces.
Not having an actual drill, but still a drill bit, I drilled by had which took longer and earned me a nifty callous on my index finger. You should all be jealous.

Side shot of the pieces.
A close up of the exhaust and the interior

The bottom of the chassis I hi-lighted sections with silver paint. Pretty straight forward. The mufflers were also painted but oddly not in this pic. Oh well.


The Exhaust tips and the plutonium chamber were painted black.


The windows have been blacked out to reduce some of the "blue" that the windows are molded out of.


The body with some black hi-lighting done with simple dry brushing black paint.



The front and back of the interior painted black to act as a good base for the detail.
And...detail! A lot of silver and red hilights. Along with a few yellow sections here and there.  And dry brushing black on the seats. Just to pick up the shadows.

Assembling the chassis to the interior.

Adding the Windows

Next the body


And lastly the exhaust!

 FINAL PICTURES! Here is the little devil all finished and looking pretty spiffy for the camera.
If I could put in a slide show I would. But I'm not sure how to do that yet.










*Update 12/3/2012

Because you asked for it @SamanthaRMason I have come through for you. Here is a side by side comparison of the car starting out and finished.

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Samantha11:19 PM

    I wanna see a side-by-side comparison. Get ye to photoshop, and make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is me testing that the "reply" option now works in comments. You be replied to!

      Delete